- Paintings. Monet. Blurred edges, softness and sunlight, pink, ponds, windsong.
- Breathing. The way the body breathes effortlessly, the way your breath can show you when you need to slow down; rapid, calm, deep and holy breath.
- Books. Recent favorite: I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Satisfying endings. Poetic prose that you can taste and breathe and smell and drink. Old, worn pages of a favorite book. Poetry that lingers long after the book is closed. Bookshelves and the books neatly stacked, so many colors, mismatched covers yet with a sense of continuity.
- People. The way they speak. Their own individual voices. The sound of their voices, all different. The ones who are called “weird” and “quiet.” The ones who could be mistaken for angels. Everyone, even the ones who don’t feel that anyone would think of them as important. Their smile lines and their eyes. Their fears and their fearlessness.
- Music. Recent favorites: Keith Duke (Sacred Weave) and Anja Lechner (Chants, Hymns and Dances). How time passes in music, how it can wrap itself around you and you don’t worry about the time. Loudness, harmonies, complexities and simplicity, rhythm. Dance.
Write your own ongoing list of inspiring things and refer to it when you’re feeling a creative block.